Apr 25, 2008

Easter Eggs



Before we came up with food coloring, Easter eggs were traditionally colored by use of onion peel. There are other natural resources of color, but this is how my ancestors did it, and I continue to do it every year, at least half a dozen for my own enjoyment.
Kids, of course get to mess up my porch and color with food colors, and stick the stickers where you didn’t think they would : )
For me Easter is this Sunday (Orthodox), and I color the eggs on Good Friday, which is today. It’s very simple, all you need is some stockings (need I say new- c'mon they're cheap), cut up into pieces, fresh leaves which should be available by now, onion peel, and water.
The more onion peel you have the deeper red the color will be, but of course if you have a husband who threw away your onion peel (by mistake : ), which you have collected for months, than you will have to settle with the peel of maybe 10 onions, urgh!!!

First you position your leaf, then you secure it with a piece of stocking, tying it in the back, and you boil the eggs as usual, only with addition of onion peels. When done, and cooled down, reveal your art!

Here is the process in few pictures:
Easter eggs 6Easter eggs 5Easter eggs 4Easter eggs 3

24 comments:

Marija said...

We are coloring the eggs today too :)

Melita said...

Happy Easter Marija!
Hristos Vaskrse!

Marija said...

Vaistinu Vaskrse!

chriesi said...

I also colour them the same way. Happy Easter to you!

Melita said...

Thank you Chriesi!
I saw your eggs, beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Medena, this is exactly how we color the eggs in Azerbaijan! With onion peel, with cilantro leaf and a nice pair of stocking:))) We do not have Easter, but we have a holiday called Novruz, which is a celebration of Spring. That's when coloring eggs becomes a must. I really love your step by step pics! Great shots! I am falling in love with your site! Happy Easter to you and to everybody who celebrates it!

Melita said...

Thank you Farida! Such nice comments! That is interesting about the egg coloring in Azerbaijan.
I would color them even more often than just for holidays, I love them! I love your blog too, and you take awesome photos!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

wow how sweet of you to share how to make them.
they look gorgeous and they remind me of a tie n dye class we did back in school with some fabric.
Really interesting. Wish you a very happy Easter

Gizmo said...

he eggs are so beautiful. I wrote a blog entry about them and you with links. We get 17 million hits a month-so I am re you will get extra traffic!
www.ifood.tv/blog/happy_easter
Baba made some eggs for Marko and Melania on Friday!

soopling said...

I love that the "dye" is all natural...beautiful eggs!

Shelby said...

Medena, I've never seen this before and its really intriguing!

Melita said...

Thank you all for wonderful comments!
Gizmo, thank you for the reference to my blog, I have checked it out, and I have book marked the site, it is great!
Hope Marko and Melania had a great Easter!

Madeline said...

These are so pretty! Thanks for sharing. I've always wondered how to do this.

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Martha Stewart watch out! These eggs are stunning! I love the use of the leaves to decorate them!

Melita said...

:))))) Thank you girls!

Anonymous said...

Very clever. The picture you posted on Tastespotting had me scratching my head trying to figure out what it was.

Hallie Fae said...

Those are works of art, they are beautiful. Great idea.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Beautiful and perfect for lunch boxes as well :) I hoste Wholesome Lunchbox event every month... would love to see your entry.
Have a good day, Margot

Elise said...

Those are the most beautiful Easter eggs. What a fabulous technique! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

The post lenght and the passion you put in this recipe reveal how you are pride of your origin. Brava Medena

Anonymous said...

These are so darn pretty! Now I really feel bad that I skipped doing this with the kids this year. Fingered crossed, I remember to follow your instructions for next year. I really love the way you did them.

xoxox Amy

Cake Girl said...

Also this is how we used to colour Easter eggs in Poland - except, we don't stick leaves, instead we scratch pictures (with needle or small knife) on already coloured eggs. Your eggs are so pretty. Great job!

Anonymous said...

I have done this with my daughter, and with my now 6 year-old granddaughter. FYI - the skins from red onions make a pretty green egg!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Wow! How very pretty! I have never tried this before. Looks fun.
Blessings,
Susie

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS